Tuesday 2 January 2018

DooM VR Review.

Doom VFR
The Good:-Excellent use of VR, Smooth gameplay.
The Bad:- Controls can be awkward. Some boring hub sections.

DooM VFR is at its heart a fun and exciting VR experience but is held back by some odd design choices. The game is NOT a VR version of the 2016 game but a sort of spin off title. You play as a Marine who is badly injured in a Pinky Demon attack. His body is then hooked up to a computer where you now control a sort of floating droid thing with hands and so begins the game.

The one thing you will notice from the go is the game is not as fast and frantic as the 2016 game. While it does have these moments, it is a much slower paced game based around a hub area. You complete a task in that hub area which opens the teleporter to the next level. The new area is a small section from one of the full levels from the 2016 game and usually involves doing the same kind of thing. I for one found the hub area to be unnecessary and completely void of any enjoyment. Still the game does make up for it with some excellent VR DooM mayhem that once you finish the game will want to comeback to. The game also sees the return of the DooM Guys which are little collectables that unlock classic levels from the original two games. These are some of the best moments in this game and I went out of my way to collect them so I could play these levels.

The controls are a point of contention for this game but I found them to alright but very odd at the same time. I thought at first it would be like a standard first person control scheme where you move around using the control pad but instead is more like a stand and shoot game. It sort of reminds me of the old House of the Dead games only you can move around the level. You have three types of movement. The first is using the D pad to dash in the direction you pressed about six feet. The second is to use the joystick to move you around in 30 degree angles. The third is the use of the left trigger which brings you a green line you can place around the room and teleport to that location. I was scratching my head trying to work out why this was but I think it might be down to motion sickness. I believe if the game played the same as normal DooM it would make you feel dizzy very quickly where as this way is more like standing still and shooting. Even when moving it happens so fast you don’t feel it.

One thing I will point out though is the game is short. I mean really short. I completed this is just a couple of hours and just a few more to 100% trophy it. While I have gone back to it several times, it is still a shame that there is not more levels.

One last point I want to make is the demon, Pinky is a pain in the backside in this game. For those of you who don’t know, the Pinky is a well armoured demon that requires you to be behind it to shoot at its unprotected tail. However, by the time you have teleported behind it and then moved the camera around, the demon has already turned around and is facing you. Not the best of enemies for this kind of game.

Overall though the game is still a fun and exciting game and has become the one I show off the VR with. Not the DooM experience I was hoping for but it is the closest thing to being in Hell fighting demons I will ever experience…I hope!
Gameplay:-13/20
Graphics:- 17/20
Sound:- 15/20
Replay Value:-14/20
Value for Money:- 14/20
Total:-73/100 (Diet DooM)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...